Domestic violence and abuse is abuse inflicted by someone in the home, such as a carer, a relative or a spouse. This can include coercive control, psychological, physical, sexual, financial, emotional abuse or so called ‘honour’ based violence.
Warning signs may include:
- low self-esteem
- blaming oneself for the abuse
- physical evidence of violence such as bruising, cuts, or broken bones
- verbal abuse and humiliation in front of others
- fear of outside intervention
- damage to home or property
- isolation – restricted from seeing friends and family
- limited access to money
For more information on how to report domestic abuse in North Somerset, see our domestic abuse pages.